Sunday, July 5, 2009

slaapmutske.























Slaapmutske-Flemish for "sleeping-cap" or "nightcap".
Origin:  Belgium
Style:  Tripel
ABV:  8.1%
Color:  Pale golden honey
Taste:  Hoppier than the average trip, bitter yet well-balanced, wonderfully floral, slight notes of pink peppercorn and grass/hay

This was the first time I tried this particular beer.  They were out of my first choice, Liefmans Goudenband.  LG, a wonderful, slightly sour Flemish Oud Bruin, is probably my favorite beer.  The producer, Brouwerji Liefmans, was bought out by Duvel in 2004, and this wonderful brew has not been made since.  'Tis a damn shame.  If you are lucky enough to stumble upon this brew, which comes wrapped in paper like the world's best Hanukkah present, please drink one for me.  I bought one of the last ones my local bar had for $15 last year.  Worth every penny.  Delicious, a true classic.

Back to Slaapmutske.  It was by no means a fitting alternative to Liefmans (nor was a comparable style, taste, etc), but it was quite tasty in its own right.  And true to its name, I slept like a baby.


No comments: